Wednesday, June 4, 2008

99


So today I had the pleasure of treating a 99 year old man! Yes, I said 99. He turns the big 100 in December of this year. When I read his chart I almost couldn't believe my eyes when it said his birthdate was 12/16/08. Yea, that's 1908 not 2008. Wow! It blew my mind. And what's even more amazing is that he was completely lucid. No dementia, no Alzheimer's, no heart disease, not even diabetes. He was in all senses of the word, healthy. I don't even really remember why he was admitted, but its besides the point. And, when we worked with him he was completely independent in his bed mobility, walked 150+ ft with only contact guard assist, and completed his transfers with only verbal cues. (sorry for the PT jargon- but that is AMAZING!) Plus, as the cherry on top he was so sweet.... with no unusual smells about him (such a plus in a hospital!). I was just absolutely enamored with him... I wanted to sit and chat with him all day. To just think of all the things he lived through... The Industrial Revolution, horse drawn carriage transportation, indoor plumbing, electricity, WWI and WWII, The Depression, prohibition, The Women's Liberation Movement, Civil Rights, The Vietnam War, so many infamous moments in history, as well as watching his family multiply in size. I can't even imagine... it just blows my mind. He must have such a wealth of experiences... wow. And, it got me thinking about all the things I hope to be able to accomplish in life. Here's my (short and incomplete) list:
-have a life altering relationship with Christ
-become a mother, grandmother, and great-grandmother
-travel to- Hawaii and Europe (again with my husband), Australia, Fiji, Japan, Costa Rica, cruise in the Greek Isles and the Bahamas, Antarctica and Alaska
-see America drop its dependency on oil and learn to use some sort of crazy recycled product to run all of our cars
-learn how to cook well
-own a house on the coast
-learn how to wakeboard, knit, sew, speak Spanish well
-be an awesome PT and work with children
-swim in the Dead Sea
-see my husband pursue his true passions
-watch a total joint replacement surgery
-be involved in a rodeo somehow (i have this strange love for all things rodeo)
-learn to enjoy hiking and push myself to hike an amazing mountain with my husband (he's made it to the top of Mt. Whitney before... i have a lot of work ahead)
-be friends with someone famous
-find a creative outlet that i am good at
-swim with dolphins
-swim with giant sea turtle
-spend a night in Cinderella's castle inside Disney World/Land
-live outside CA for some period of time
This list is in no way exhaustive, I know that there are more things that I've said I'd kill to do and simply can't remember right now. However, I always want to dance my way through life, treat others the way I want to be treated, always love my husband with the dedication and passion we shared the day we were married, be kind and respectful to others, and be the best daughter, sister, aunt, and wife that I can be right now!! AAAH... i just love life!

ps- 3 things I've done so far that were on my list include going on a hot air balloon ride, watching the Friends season finale taping live, and getting married.

4 comments:

Bret Baker said...

I would love that old man. love love. I also love the list, and the picture from the greatest movie ever.

Jen-erator said...

YES! I love Waking Ned Divine! Can we watch that tomorrow night!?!

louiegennuso said...

That's a nice list jess. portland, eh??? (me nudging you with my elbow) what movie is this photograph from?

fireypath said...

oh my gosh i love you so much!! and miss you ALOT!!!
ps the all caps means even more now that i read your fab list and pt jargon. gosh youre great!