Thursday, January 15, 2009

The Drink of The Gods


I was just reading a book given to me for Christmas from the Armstrongs titled Beer, by Michael Jackson (Side note: This is not the one-gloved, baby dangling over the balcony, Jesus juice popstar, but the highly respected in the beer community beer enthusiast pictured above). I read something rather interesting and wondered if we should have been drinking that mock wine during communion. Here is the excerpt:
"The Aramaic scrolls that were the foundation for the Bible have Jesus miraculously turning water into "strong drink." The Greeks translated this as "wine," but the Saxon version of the Gospels refers instead to "beer.""

Makes you wonder a little bit doesn't it? It makes me even more excited about a possible future in the beer industry.
-Dave

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Dave,
Tim Brislin here, my wife is the former Audrey Odell and we enjoy your reading your blog. I've been in the wine industry for over 10 years and have formed many relationships with people in the beer industry as we are kindred spirits. Saw you might be interested in a future working the beer industry...I live in Portland, OR and we have the most breweries per capita. Definitely beer heaven!
Point is if you ever want to pursue things further, give me a holler and I know plenty of people who would love to help you out.
brislin.tim@gmail.com

We'll have to talk beer sometime. I'm always on the lookout for something new.
Cheers,
Tim

Anonymous said...

BTW, can you really ever believe what the Saxons say? Jesus was a wine geek. :) I believe Paul preferred a creamy stout and Judas turned on Jesus because he wanted an IPA at the Last Supper.

Jen-erator said...

Portland!! Louie and I have been talking non stop about Portland this week and how awesome it would be to move there! You can move for work and then all 4 of us can be BFF forever!!!!!

Anonymous said...

Portland is cold, wet and dreary! You don't want to move there. Pam was snowed in for a week! Very depressing. Love, Mom (future grandmother of your children who must live in the same town)

D and L Armstrong said...

Portland is a beautiful city to visit. Your other future grandparents agree, closer to family is a good thing. But a man and his wife must follow your passions. Beer is everywhere. It is like Franklin said, proof that God loves us.

Larry

Anonymous said...

Hah!! I don't want to anger the future grandparents...you can make beer anywhere and I believe Fresno is in need of a killer brewpub. Linda Odell is peeved with me for stealing her daughter away and when I'm in Fresno visiting I don't need anymore grief :)

Nonetheless if you ever want to visit, our door is open and I have a great pub crawl/downtown Portland tour you and Jessica would enjoy.