Sunday, March 15, 2009

Happy Birthday Dad!!!


Well, I'm assuming my dad saw this coming since his birthday is just a week after my moms. However, I still thought it might be a fun little surprise for him. A lot that was said about my mom rings true for my dad as well. We really appreciate him and love him a lot. He has always been there to support us with our crazy ideas or extra curricular activities. He may have even supported us a little bit more with our crazy ideas, simply because he was the one that would show us weird stuff. While Mom was supportive and protective of us, Dad was supportive and well, more like Bill Nye the science guy. My dad wasn't afraid to be a little kid and he still is to this day, which I think is awesome. He'll make goofy faces or tell "Hale jokes" which everyone else knows as groaners. But you know what? I wouldn't change that at all.

He's the type of dad that would bring us over anytime he was fixing something on the house, yard, or car. He wouldn't make us do the work, but he wanted us to be able to see how to do it, just in case. I remember my dad showing me how to graphite a key hole, thinking to myself, "When will I ever need to do this?" Sure enough, when I moved in with Jess, the keys wouldn't slide in and out of the door easily. Well they do now. Jessica always wonders how I know how to do random things in the house and I say, "I don't know...my dad must have taught me." Thanks dad! Like mom, I want to thank you for being such a positive role model as a father. It's a nice feeling knowing that you're always going to be around, that you love mom and would never hurt her, that you would protect your family at all costs, and that you're MY dad.

I love that you taught us what true camping is (No premade campsite people...just pick a spot that looks good and set up. Also, no toilets or showers; you're in mother natures house now), that we went hiking on a seven day hike to Mount Whitney, that we went boogie boarding, that you always make sure that we were prepared for anything (Got your first-aid kit, luggage tag, snow clothes, EXTRA BATTERIES, that we watched the Three Stooges, Little Rascals, and other classic black and whites, that you have a first-aid kit larger than most carry-on luggage, and many more. Thanks for being you Dad and for being the other tool that shaped us into who we are today. Oh, also olives...my dad loves olives and anything else weird/interesting to eat like rice candy, honeycomb, or ginger candy.

And though he may not like to admit, I know my Dad is the type of guy that is really in touch with his feelings and empathetic to others. He always wanted to show others, especially his parents, that he loved them. So with that in mind, I just wanted to say that I love you Dad and I think you're great! "Looking Good Dad, Feeling Good Dad" Happy Birthday! OLD GUYS RULE!






2 comments:

Madi said...

so sweet! Morgan often time says things like, "My uncle Bill this," or "My uncle Bill that," and even, "My uncle Bill says..." I know he loves your parents very much and I'm so excited to get to know them and love them too. I love your dad's eyes and smile. So sweet and warm. And his laugh! I love his laugh! And I love how Brian sometimes sounds like him too =)

Hale-Yeah! said...

another great post bro. Maybe I can be a more thoughtful son like you someday. Even though we celebrated their bdays, we forgot to call him on his actual day. Is that stupid or what?